Welcome to Hot Wells Shooting Range. We are glad you are showing an interest in the shooting sports and hope to see you out on the range soon. Here are a few tips to guarantee your next outing is enjoyable, AND safe!
- Closed toed shoes are a must!
- No low cut tops.
- Pants must be secured around the waist. If undergarments are exposed you will be ask to leave!
- Eye and Ear protection is required on all ranges at all times.
Know your Firearm
- The range is an excellent place to practice,but a working knowledge of your firearm should be obtained prior to your first outing. (If you need help, inquire about a lesson)
The range officer (RO) is your friend
- Don’t be afraid to ask the RO for help or advice! Unanswered questions can compromise safety and enjoyment.
- Our RO’s can easily be identified by their safety ORANGE shirts.
Firearms should be completely UNLOADED upon arrival
Firearms should remain unloaded until you are in a shooting station
ALWAYS make sure you have the proper ammunition for your firearm
ALWAYS keep your firearm pointed downrange
- A firearm pointed in any direction other than downrange is, by definition, unsafe. Note that downrange means straight toward the target and not up or down in the general direction of the target.
Upon a cease-fire command, everyone on the firing line must stop shooting immediately!
- During a cease fire, remove all ammunition and magazines from your firearm, lay it on the shooting bench (keeping the muzzle pointed down range), and step away from the shooting bench.
- Never handle a firearm during a cease-fire!
- Hopefully not on your first trip, but you will eventually experience a malfunction at the range. Before you come out to the range, make sure you know how to deal with various types of malfunctions calmly, sensibly, and above all safely. Call your RO to your bench if you have any question about the malfunction (but be sure not to compromise safety in doing so).
Take a safety lesson
- The best way to get off to a great start is by enrolling in a private lesson with one of our certified instructors. Your class can be tailored to meet your specific needs, and will not only increase your firearm proficiency, but will aid in making sure you are prepared at the range.
Always follow the range rules! Here are a few to get you started:
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded
- ALWAYS keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire
- Always keep the firearm unloaded with the breech open until you are ready to use
- Never use alcohol , over the counter / prescription drugs, or other drugs before or while shooting
- Always check ammunition for compatibility with your firearm
- Follow ALL range rules
For a complete list of individual range safety rules, please see the following links: